Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Social Networking Websites..

Facebook” is a social utility that connects you with the people around you.
This is how it is described, and if you’re not one of the “Facebook” confederacy; it’s just very similar to Myspace, hi5, Freindster, LinkedIn,WAYN, Bebo, Windows Live Spaces (aka MSN Spaces) , Yahoo! 360°… And this list goes on…
Wow! You’ve never heard about any of these? Ok, you should go and ask one of the 289,000,000 people joining “Myspace”, or one of the 50,000,000 who are joining “hi5”..


To me, I used to be a member in “Myspace”, but recently I transformed to be one of the 73,500,000 people who belong to “Facebook”.


Those social networking websites focus on several obsessions, most of them mainly are considered for “friendships”, some for “business”, some for “travel & lifestyle”, and some for “sexual relations” as I have discovered!!
Whatever the aim was for joining such websites, and although I’m a member in “Facebook”, I’ll mention what I most hate about this kind of websites:

1- May be you can have a silly fun over there, but don’t try to convince me that you want to be in contact with all your friends since you have a bunch of friends that you can’t handle catching each one of them individually, because if that was your claim for having an account in “Facebook” or any other network, then let me tell you that you didn’t have the perfect solution for your problem.
*If you need a reminder, I remind you that someone invented something called “email”.

2- Adding friends who are not friends! Adding friends who are really just aliases! Yes! Believe it or not. Anyone can be called a” friend” just by one click; just by accepting something called “Friendship request”. I really wonder how some people add others as friends, while they don’t have any clew about who they are!
“I’m having hundreds of “friendship requests” pending. I always used to reject them, but now I don’t, I just keep them pending because a lot of stupid people, when you reject their request, they consist and add you for another time! So, when you keep the request pending, the person can’t send you another request until you reject his first request.. That’s it! Keep them pending!”

3- Adding people you hate! You’d be surprised from time to time that some people you hate are sending you a “friendship request”… May be they just want to make your day! How lovely it would be when you add them!

4- I hate it also when I people discuss some personal issues or have a conversation in their profiles, allowing all the people read and enjoy their interesting talk. That space as I guess is supposed to be for light comments, or for saying hi for instance.

5- According to “Facebook” (which I’m joining), I’m being sick of keeping adding more and more features and applications to the website.. And people… People just add lots lots lots of applications to their profiles.. loads of applications which makes me feel that their profile is going to explode in any moment! (may be they add all the applications yelle allah khala2a based on: Elle bblash Katter meno).. because as I noticed the “gifts” application (chargable application) is not used by the users as much as the new free applications are used.

6- Finally, I hate it when I find a guy having some 1029 girls in his friends list, even though I’m quite sure they are not friends and they even may be don’t know each other! And the same; when a girl has a 4362378839402 guy in her friends list!

Now, very few things I like about such websites which can’t weigh against my “dislikes”:
1- I found a KG friend, Shatha, whom I didn’t talk to since I was in the KG… That’s just unbelievable! (By the way, she didn’t remember me, haha)


2- I like the local events advertisements and reminders.. This is a plus for the “Facebook” although you can be updated to the events through your local “timeout” website.

Now back to the first point I mentioned in the dislikes… I’m having a “Facebook” account because I just want to have one… I admit that I sometimes do contact my friends through it.. But in my point of view, one can never be called social if he/she is just living in the “Facebook” boat… or any of the other boats!

4 comments:

ted said...

Well Linkedin is pretty different than all the other networking sites. Linkedin is very professional than any other social networking site. It can be termed as business networking site. more than fun people join Linkedin for purpose. I came across this site from some of the blog which say Linkedin can be accessed over the phone without internet. In fact with this service Linkedin access with be even more convenient than ever.
http://modazzle.com/cms/modazzleLp1.html?channel=CM&camp=LinkedIn

Dina said...

Yes ted, you're right. But if you noticed, I said in my post (most of them mainly are considered for “friendships”, some for “business”)..
And my topic was mainly about the Social Networking ones; Specifically "Facebook" which I use.
I wish that the number of business networking websites would grow up instead of those useless social ones.
(What amazes me the huge number of people joining these social websites, wasting there time by being online there all the time!)

Unknown said...

I love this post !

Dina said...

Thank you faisal for passing by :)

UAE Time = GMT+4